Podcasting - Refreshing an old Hobby


I'm unsure of the exact measurement, but if you were to add up all the time I have spent in my 50 years experiencing Doctor Who (whether it's watching or reading) it would be a high percentage (some would argue too much!)

But now we add Podcasting to the mix. Even though I've not got my own podcast, I' ve been very fortunate to guest on other people's podcasts. The first being Joe Ford's A Hamster with a Blunt Penknife 

Call it a case of "no sense, no feeling" but don't think I was as nervous as I thought I would be. And that was down to my host.

The wonderful Joe Ford is, well, wonderful at putting people at ease and having a common interest in Doctor Who immediately gives you something to talk about. Joe has a gift for talking to complete strangers online and welcoming them to his podcast family, know as the Ham Fam.

My first episode was looking at Destiny of the Daleks and listening to it, I have to pinch myself to remember that about half an hour before recording, Joe and I had never spoken (we've still yet to meet in person, but hopefully one day we will!). His easy manner (no not that sort of easy!) and ability to chat so freely with people has been integral to the success of the Hamster podcast. And I hope I'm not embarrassing him by saying that. 

Hamster has been so successful, that it has spawned several spin-offs including the Hamster Book Club, reviewing the novelisations and original novels. An Extra Slice where Ham Fam members were able to talk about another of their TV shows. Recently, Joe's teamed up with Rod Brown to bring us "Strictly Come Hamster" which features the two of them, plus two guests battling it out over one chosen season or series to find out the best story of that particular run. I recorded Season 26 alongside Joe, Rod and Luke Molloy. 

I won't spoil what story won, but you could have watched at least one episode of Ghost Light in the time I rambled on about it....

I've done numerous commentaries with Joe including New Earth (where I have apparently developed a bit of a reputation due to my knowledge of Billie Piper's foundation garments). I was horrified to hear myself get things wrong and, like many of his other guests, Joe has managed to get me to introduce an episode or two with those immortal words "Welcome back to A Hamster with a Blunt Penknife, the Doctor Who Commentary Podcast"


Other commentaries I've done with Joe include Frontier in Space, Rosa and the Time Meddler. We've also teamed up with the lovely Lucy McCall and Dave Rennie as a foursome to watch Planet of Evil and Planet of Fire and I hope they were as fun to listen to as they were to record.

Dave Rennie's appearances on Hamster have inspired him to record his own podcast, entitled "A Kettle and some string" (a line from the Comic Relief sketch Time Crash) and his attention to detail and research is an important aspect of its success. Again, Ive been privileged to appear twice to chat about The Seeds of Doom and the Runaway Bride, two different Doctor Who stories you couldn't begin to come up with.

Si Hart, who is the Olivia Coleman of Doctor Who podcasts, has been a regular co-presenter of Hamster as well as recently starting his own podcast, The Library of Impossible Things. Si invites guests to share their story of how they became fans and bring an item of interest to go in the library.


This was my contribution, a little bit worse for wear, and much loved. 

I've been grateful for being asked to guest on other podcasts, such as Jim Allenby's "What's in the Box" where we chatted about Fury from the Deep, the Robots of Death and my favourite action figure. (you'll have to listen to find out which one it is!) 

I've even enjoyed podcasting with fans across the world such as Jason Miller who's the most patient of men, considering halfway through one recording my youngest woke up in tears and we had to redo the recording the following night. Not to mention forgetting my laptop cable so we had to curtail the Highlanders episode.

Jason also invited me to talk about Eve of the Daleks for Trap One. It's safe to say we didn't share the same opinion on the episode, however we agreed to differ graciously.

And that's one of the best things i"ve found about podcasts. The people! Doctor Who fandom reminds me of Evelyn Waugh's quote: "The Second World War wasn't bad provided you were with nice people."

This network of podcasts has developed a community fans who have become friends, even if we've never met (yet!) We're from different walks of life, yet this silly wonderful TV show is the one thing that's connected us together. 

This is basically a longwinded way of saying thank you to those who've invited me on theirs podcasts and to reiterate that I'm available* to drone on about any Doctor Who story,whether it's one I love or the Time Monster 


(*Tuesday and Wednesday mights are best!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I've Learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 4 - Pyramids of Mars

Things I've Learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 8 - Genesis of the Daleks

Things I've Learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 1 - City of Death