Things I've Learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 1 - City of Death

1. City of Death

How to recognise a beautiful woman, probably...



So, finally here we are at number one. OK, it's not the most original choice, everyone seems to love City of Death unless you're Gary Russell, whose review in DWM, back in the day, really took me by surprise. And fair play to him, he's entitled to his opinion and I doubt this waffly blog will persuade him otherwise.

As much as I love City of Death, I'm struggling to find something original to say about it. I don't have a tale of youth to share with you on this story, although I do remember watching Part Two at my Grandparents house in Scotland. I once met Julian Glover at a convention in Swansea but at his interview he spoke more on playing Czech president Alexander Dubček than he did about playing Count Scarlioni. And anyway, we all know he was disappointed about not going to Paris...

This is top of the list simply because I think it's exquisite, absolutely exquisite! (Told you I couldn't think of anything original!) Season 17 is a goldmine of Doctor Who, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, there are stories that look more polished, scripts that are more serious and monsters that look more convincing but this is my territory. It's the first full season I watched, and just because Nightmare of Eden and Creature from the Pit haven't made this list doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. But this story is the cherry on the top of the season.

From the very sophisticated model shots of prehistoric Earth to "Bye bye Duggan!" this is the ultimate in comfort Who. We know this story was a work of desperation, written, according to director Michael Hayes, by Douglas Adams and Graham Williams, over a weekend at Williams' house, fuelled by whisky and black coffee with the proverbial hot towels over their heads! Sometimes miracles can come from adverse situations and some of the best Doctor Who stories have been the work of desperation, such as the War Games and look how great that is! The cast are also said to have a great deal of input during rehearsals and regardless of how much they changed, the quality of the script cannot be denied. It's eminently quotable such as the line "My dear, nobody could be as stupid as he seems..." 

Dudley Simpson also delivered the goods for this story, inspired to write what he described as a skyline theme. What Doctor Who fan doesn't have that music in their heads whenever they visit Paris, or indeed just run up steps in a train station. (You don't? Shame on you!) In 2013, there was a recreation of the music for the 50th anniversary prom, and I won't deny, there was a tear in my eye as I listened to it... 

Watching Tom Baker and Lalla Ward skip across the Champs Elysee, or past Notre Dame is miles better than watching them run up and down BBC corridors. It was thanks to then production unit manager John Nathan Turner's strengths with balancing the budget, that they were able to do so, at a similar cost to recreating Paris at BBC's Ealing Studios. But even the sets back in tv Centre look opulent, as well as some effective video effects such as the laser beams over the Mona Lisa. 

Julian Glover, one of my favourite actors, gives a performance that's more of a Bond villain than his turn as Kristatos in For Your Eyes Only two years later. He's utterly sublime and like all the best villains remembers that when uttering the word "Doctor" you say it like it's a swear word! 

We forget Catherine Schell was also a big international star thanks to On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Space 1999 and the Return of the Pink Panther, so her casting brings a bit of prestige and glamour. Not too much glamour, of course. as the domestic arrangements of the count and countess are subtly and conveniently glossed over. But it's telling there's no little Scarlioni's running around... 

Tom Chadbon is great as Duggan, yes he's slightly irritating and a bit thick, but he's fun and Chadbon enjoys the little asides "I used to do divorce investigations, it was never like this!" David Graham is fun as Professor Theodore Nikolai Kerensky, and you even feel sorry for him when he's mercilessly killed off by the Count. We can't talk about City of Death without mentioning the two art critics, and it's just a bit of fun that RTD would later resurrect for some of his season finales. Although I much prefer John Cleese and Eleanor Bron to Anne Widdecombe... 

So that's it, my favourite Doctor Who story of all time. 1979 may be a table wine for some Doctor Who fans, but as I said for the Horns of Nimon, I enjoy this particular vintage. As a kid it got me into watching Doctor Who and led me to being a lifelong fan. As an adult, I can enjoy its wit and sophistication, it's fun and joy at being nothing more than four episodes of the most entertaining show on British Television. 

We can pretend that 19 million were watching during the strike simply because there was nothing on itv, and someone will point out they Star Trek got 20 million in the same week, but so what? Nineteen million (or 16 million if you believe the BBC's figures!) watched City of Death to put it in the top 20 shows of the week. Some would argue it's not art, but I think it is. It's art lies in the fact that it is here - for us to enjoy! 


Next Time : The Best Cliffhangers 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I've learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 60 - Destiny of the Daleks

Things I've learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 59 - Battlefield

Things I've Learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 4 - Pyramids of Mars