Things I've Learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 34 - Partners in Crime

34: Partners In Crime

Cynicism doesn't make you thin



I have a confession to make. I had intended another story (a two-parter from the modern series) to be in this place. But then I remembered this season opener from series four. Russell T Davies always made the premier episodes fun and exciting. Of his four season openers, this is undoubtedly the best although all four of them are great fun and I enjoy them all. But this seems to have an extra specialness to it. 

Many fans were surprised, unconvinced or even aghast at the announcement of Catherine Tate returning as Donna Noble, to be the regular companion after her one-off appearance in the Runaway Bride. I've grown rather fond of that episode but this one reintroduces Donna as a more considerate, less self-centred person. 

One aspect of Donna's return which did appeal to some fans word was that the romantic aspect of the Doctor / companion which had been part of the series since its return would be dropped in favour of a more platonic relationship. I have mixed feelings about the romance side in the Doctor's life. I've included the Aztecs and the TV Movie in this list, both of which have the Doctor in a romantic attachment with someone, so I'd be a hypocrite if I said I was totally against it. Plus I was among the majority of the eight million people watching Doomsday who were blubbing at Rose's departure. But it does feel more in keeping with the show's ethos if the Doctor and companion are not looking doe-eyed at each other. 

The plot of Partners in Crime is fairly incidental to the main thrust of the episode which is how the Doctor and Donna are reunited. (Some would say that's fortunate given the subject matter which for some is in poor taste!) Gone is the old Donna who got excited about a new flavour Pringle, here we have a more savvy Donna who's investigating anything unusual in the hope that the Doctor might be involved. 

Jacqueline King is back as Sylvia, Donna's mum, and is given a lot more to do here than in the Runaway Bride. Sadly Howard Attfield, who played Geoff, passed midway through filming. Rather than replace him with another actor, the production team brought in the legend that is Bernard Cribbins. My generation grew up with Bernard, via the Wombles, The Railway Children, Star Turn, Carry on Spying and everything else. After his cameo appearance in Voyage of the Damned, Wilf suddenly became Donna's grandad. The scene up the hill is magical, two actors given beautiful dialogue, it just warms my heart. It won't be the last time we'll be moist eyed watching Bernard Cribbins in Doctor Who. 

As I said the plot is maybe troubling for some but we have the bonus of Sarah Lancashire, so often looking stressed out in Happy Valley, as the diva villain Miss Foster. Lancashire gets to let her hair down and gives a performance that is on the right side of arch; slightly camp and sinister in equal measure. The Adipose are a fun alien, not evil and will appeal more to kids watching than hardcore fans, which is all to the good I say. 

If course, we can't talk about Partners in Crime without mentioning that scene. There are many laugh out loud moments in Doctor Who and this is rightly celebrated. It shows David and Catherine's chemistry so we'll without them even saying a word to each other, and it's impeccably timed. It's been the subject of many memes and gifs and is widely regarded by the general public. There are many funny moments throughout the whole run of the series but this moment seemed to capture the imagination of the public more than any. It's a magical moment that 8 couldn't miss in my Top 60. 


Next : If its green and slimy, for goodness sake don't touch it! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I've learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 60 - Destiny of the Daleks

Things I've learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 59 - Battlefield

Things I've Learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 4 - Pyramids of Mars