Things I've Learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 28 - The Pilot

 28: The Pilot

Never underestimate a girl who serves chips!



Haitus - one of those words that Doctor Who fandom is obsessed with. It means a brief pause, but we all know that brief pause meant eighteen months of no Doctor Who. Fans groaned a collective groan when it was announced there would not be a full series in 2016, and only a Christmas special. But in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that bad and personally I was hoping the break might do the show some good.

Because frankly, I was going off Doctor Who! It wasn't fun anymore , it wasn't engaging me much. Series 9 felt like the contractual obligation series. Coming a year after series 8 which had seen highs (mummy!) and lows (trees and don't cremate me!) it felt rushed and with one promotion saying "same old, same old..." I was not impressed. But I want this to be a positive blog, so let's move on to series 10. 

When it was announced we'd have a new companion in Bill, played by the wonderful Pearl Mackie, I was relieved. A shake up was needed; not that I didn't like Clara but she's a different person every season and in Series 9 she was just... there. She'd had more farewells than the Rolling Stones. Plus, a new companion might bring out a different side to Peter Capaldi's Doctor who I enjoyed but not completely warmed to.

We find the Doctor is lecturing at a university. He's got a study, with portraits of his wife and his granddaughter on the desk. He's fixed Nardole, who's now his assistant and conscience. It's a welcome return to Matt Lucas, but Moffat rarely gives him anything more to do than be the comedy sidekick. Which is a shame as we see in the Doctor Falls, he's got the acting chops to cope with more emotional scenes. 

But back to Bill, the dinnerlady who talks nineteen to the dozen about overfeeding a student she fancies. She's inquisitive and forthright. Unlike either Clara or Amy, Bill feels rooted in real life (Clara went from childminder to teacher and then reckless adventurer over her three seasons) Bill talks like a normal person, not in sassy quips. The Doctor takes her on as a student, another Eliza Dolittle for him to educate, like Leela or Ace. The episode takes place over several months and we see she's getting excellent grades. 

Bill's sexuality is sometimes used as shorthand for her character, which feels like a disservice to the first openly gay companion we've had. I have no issue with her sexuality and here, her relationship with Heather is a key part of the plot. It doesn't feel forced or gratuitous unlike some later stories. Her awkwardness towards Heather is charming and believable, as is her disappointment when it appears Heather has disappeared, despite saying she wouldn't. We've all been there! 

The puddle sequences are quite unnerving, as is the effect of Heather emerging from water wherever and whenever she can. I'm not a huge fan of Steven Moffat's version of Who, but he does do the scares very well! What starts as a nice introduction to the new companion goes off on a journey through time and space with the best introduction to the TARDIS that a companion gets. It's here that Capaldi nails his Doctor. That wonderful line "You're safe in here. You're safe in here and you always will be." is so reassuring, but unfortunately, about two seasons too late. 

Then the Daleks turn up, for their annual contractual appearance, this time shooting Movellans (thanks to Mark Gatiss!) and Heather, but even Dalek firepower can't exterminate a sentient oil puddle! Fortunately (or unfortunately!) Moffat strikes again with another love conquers all denouement and Bill and Heather say goodbye. But it's the scene after in the study that impresses me the most. 

The Doctor goes to wipe Bill's memory of her trip in the TARDIS but she's smarter than he thinks and realises what he's about to do. After appealing to him not to, she then tells him to go ahead. 

But of course, he doesn't. He realises he has underestimated her and she is smarter than he thinks! So they're off, into time and space! 

The Pilot works so well and reengaged me with the series after the dull "running on empty" nature of most of the previous run. It's the first Capaldi episode in my list and there will be another. Peter Capaldi was a fine choice for the Doctor, I just wish I liked more of his stories! 


Next time: I know so little about Tachyonics... 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I've learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 60 - Destiny of the Daleks

Things I've learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 59 - Battlefield

Things I've Learnt from Watching My Favourite Doctor Who Stories: Part 4 - Pyramids of Mars